AGU is committed to implementing sustainability practices that will lessen the impact of its events on the planet. AGU has worked on several fronts to implement green initiatives through our URECAS workshop. This includes working with caterers, suppliers, and attendees to reduce our environmental impact.
In the spirit of leadership, below are some policies that we will be implementing, as well as some tips on how you can make greener choices during the workshop.
What AGU is Doing
- AGU will produce very few printed materials for the URECAS workshop. The detailed agenda, directions, supplementary materials, and workshop outcomes will all be available here on our website. Materials that we do print will be on recycled paper.
- AGU recycles paper, plastic, glass, cans, and other materials. Recycling bins will be conveniently located near the workshop room.
- Our caterer Geppetto’s is powered by wind energy, and recycles all of their cans, bottles, plastics, paper, and cardboard. The remainder of their trash, which includes eating utensils, serving platters and leftover food, is turned into compost. Their cooking oils are recycled for the production of biodiesel fuel and they have a self-contained grease trap at their building that collects grease and prevents it from entering the water table.
- We’ll provide pitchers of water rather than bottles, and reusable coffee mugs for use during the workshop.
- All meeting activities are located within walking distance of one another and the metro system.
What You Can Do
- Use public transportation to get to the workshop and to see the sights in DC. We have detailed directions on our logistics page.
- Bring your own water bottle.
- Bring your laptop or other mobile device to take notes during the workshop (but if you’re not able to, we’ll have a few pads of paper and pens available).
Thank you for helping us to reduce the environmental impact of our workshop!